Naturalized CitizensAbout newcitizen.usNew US CitizensNew and Naturalized US CitizensContact newcitizen.usNew and Naturalized US Citizens

There are several reasons why a naturalized US citizen could lose his or her US citizenship. † We feel itís important to summarize these reasons. † As a naturalized citizen, you went to all the trouble to get your US citizenship in the first place. † Weíd hate to see you lose it merely because you did something wrong you did not know about.

Involuntarily Losing Your US Citizenship (Denaturalization)

Both the State Department and the USCIS have specfic laws and regulations they must follow in determining whether someoneís US citizenship should be taken away. †

1. Convicted For An Act Of Treason Against The United States

Treason is a serious crime, and the Constitution defines the requirements for convicting someone of treason. † Treason is waging a violent war against the United States in cooperation with a foreign country or any organized group. † It includes assisting or aiding any foreign country or organization in taking over or destroying this country including abolishing the Constitution. † Treason also consists of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the US government or of betraying our government into the hands of a foreign power. † If you are caught and convicted of treason, you can pretty much count on losing your US citizenship as well as serving lots of jail time.

2. Holding A Policy Level Position In A Foreign Country

If you become an elected official or hold a policy-level position (like an ambassador, cabinet minister, or any high level administrative position where you make government policy) in your native country or a foreign country, you run the risk of losing your US citizenship. † On the other hand, if you hold a non-policy level job like working in your native countryís embassy or working for your native countryís government in an advisory or purely administrative capacity, you run little risk of jeopardizing your US citizenship. † For further information, see the State Departmentís circular: ADVICE ABOUT POSSIBLE LOSS OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND SEEKING PUBLIC OFFICE IN A FOREIGN STATE.

3. Serving In Your Native Countryís Armed Forces If That Country Is Engaged In Hostilities Or At War With The United States

If your native country is engaged in hostile actions or is at war with America you need to be extremely careful. † The US government will attempt to take away your US citizenship if they find out you are either aiding or serving in your native countryís armed forces in any capacity. † Alternatively, the US government could try to nail you with a treason conviction and then strip you of your US citizenship.

4. Serving In Your Native Countryís Armed Forces As An Officer Or A Non-Commissioned Officer

If your native country is not at war with or engaged in hostilities towards the US, then serving in your native countryís armed forces is OK as long as you are not an officer or non-commissioned officer (usually the rank of sergeant or above). † Serving as a civilian worker in your native countryís armed forces, or serving as an enlisted man or women are generally acceptable. † For further information, see the State Departmentís circular: ADVICE ABOUT POSSIBLE LOSS OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND FOREIGN MILITARY SERVICE.

The State Department has set several administrative guidelines for dual citizens to follow in order to avoid losing their US citizenship ( ADVICE ABOUT POSSIBLE LOSS OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP AND DUAL NATIONALITY ). † The four reasons for losing US citizenship cited above were taken from these guidelines. † We strongly suggest that you carefully review these guidelines if you are planning on maintaining dual citizenship. † As you review the guidelines keep in mind that the State Department is primarily referring to native-born US citizens who become dual citizens by being naturalized in another foreign country. † The guidelines are also applicable to naturalized US citizens who maintain their original citizenship.

5. Lying To The USCIS During The Naturalization Process

If you deliberately withheld information from or misrepresented information given to the USCIS or INS when filing your N-400, the USCIS may cancel your Certificate of Naturalization and revoke your US citizenship. † This includes withholding information and misrepresenting yourself during your naturalization interview or oath ceremony. † If your Certificate of Naturalization is cancelled and your US citizenship revoked, you may also find yourself facing criminal prosecution as well as deportation proceedings.

For example, if you lived outside the country for four months and deliberately omitted this absence from your N-400 and the USCIS finds out about it after youíre naturalized, they could move to have your Certificate of Naturalization cancelled. † All they would need to show is that your absence would have disqualifed you from or materially affected your naturalization due to the ďphysical presence in the United StatesĒ requirement for naturalization applicants.

You may also lose your US citizenship if you withheld information or misled the USCIS or INS when becoming a permanent resident. † If within five years of becoming a permanent resident, the USCIS finds out that you withheld information from them or misled them in order to obtain your green card, the USCIS may also strip you of your US citizenship. † Of course, after five years from becoming a permanent resident, the only way the USCIS would be able to take away your US citizenship would be if you withheld or misrepresented yourself during the naturalization process.

The above examples illustrates why you need to be both truthful and accurate when filing for naturalization and permanent residency. † You donít want to give the USCIS any ammunition they could use against you later if they or someone else (like a politician or government bureaucrat) is looking for any means to get rid of you.

6. Refusal To Testify Before Congress About Your Subversive Activities

We included this legal provision for completeness. † If you refuse to testify before Congress within ten years of being naturalized regarding your involvement in any subversive activities, the Attorney General can move to have your US citizenship revoked [ 8 USC 1451(a) ]. † Subversive activities are not well defined but include activities such as spying, belonging to a terrorist or other organization wanting to overthrow the US, or other activities aimed at undermining our government [50 USC 783 & 843, 18 USC Ch. 115]. † Of course, if you do testify before Congress about your subversive activities, you may still lose your citizenship if your testimony is later used to convict you of treason.

US Courts and Immigration Attorneys as Safeguards

Fortunately, itís not as easy to take away your citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization as the law reads. † Even if you were not entirely truthful or forthcoming during the naturalization process, the USCIS just canít arbitrarily revoke your citizenship. † Citizenship is one of those fundamental rights that our third branch of government (the judicial branch) takes very seriously. † It appears the USCIS runs into difficulty with the federal courts when the USCIS revokes someoneís citizenship without giving the accused his or her day in court (no matter how blatant the violation of the law, see - INJUNCTION OF INS ADMINISTRATIVE DENATURALIZATION PROCEDURE ).

In other words, the only way you are going to lose your US citizenship and Certificate of Naturalization is in a federal court and by a federal judge, who is appointed for life, makes good money, and is answerable to no politician or government bureaucrat no matter how on popular the judge's decision turns out to be.

If any of these situations listed apply to you now or could in the future, we strongly suggest you seek the legal advice of an immigration attorney experienced in US citizenship law. † Your US citizenship is too valuable to risk losing because you donít fully understand the law and the possible consequences of your actions. † Here is a brief listing of websites for immigration attorneys:

American Immigration Lawyers Association †††††††††† The Immigration Portal

Open Directory (Google) - Immigration Lawyers

Voluntarily Losing Your US Citizenship (Renunciation)

After becoming a naturalized US citizen, you always have the option of renouncing your US citizenship. † Beware though, if you renounce US citizenship, you will most likely be barred from living in the United States (there are exceptions), and can never become a US citizen again.

In order to renounce your US citizenship, you have to physically be outside the US and itís possessions when renouncing. † So if you ever plan on renouncing your citizenship, make sure you have a country to live in (no doubts about your citizenship and residency status) and renounce your US citizenship there. † For further information, see the State Departmentís circular: Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship.

Can a person voluntarily renounce their US citizenship and still live in the US? † Can you get your green card back or a new green card? † The answer to these questions is technically yes, but it is going to be a legally complicated process. † You will most definitely need the advice and help of an immigration attorney to attempt such a legal maneuver. † You will still have to renounce your US citizenship outside the US, and then need some type of visa or immigration papers to return to the US as a resident. † Keep in mind, the US government will probably resist you every legal step of the way, and there is no guarantee of success. † For further information, see the State Departmentís circular: RENUNCIATION OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP BY PERSONS CLAIMING A RIGHT OF RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Voluntarily renouncing your US citizenship should not be taken lightly. † Once you renounce your citizenship, it is nearly impossible to get it back. † You will lose all the benefits of US citizenship including US residency and your US passport, and you will likely still be held responsible for paying any past, current or future US taxes (which is the primary reason why most people want to renounce their US citizenship). † For further information, see the State Departmentís circular: LOSS OF NATIONALITY AND TAXATION (please scroll down to this topic after you open this web page).

What if I lose my Certificate of Naturalization?

Losing your Certificate of Naturalization is not the same as losing US citizenship. † You havenít lost your citizenshipóall you lost is your proof of citizenship. † Of course, if the USCIS canít find your naturalization records, you may have some problems proving your citizenship and could face detention and deportation proceedings. † Thatís why we highly recommend making backup copies of your Certificate of Naturalization and storing the original in a secure place (see Securely Store Your Certificate of Naturalization for more information).

If, after all the precautions we recommended to you about storing and protecting your Certificate of Naturalization, your certificate is somehow lost or destroyed, well guess what, youí re going to have to deal with the USCIS all over again to get it replaced. † Please go to USCIS: Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document.

Good luck and please be patient. † It usually takes at least a year to get a new certificate.

Websites With Further Information On Losing Your US Citizenship

CHANG & BOOS - LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP AND DUAL NATIONALITY † A good summary of the recent policy changes to dual citizenship in the US and how, as a dual citizen, you can lose your US citizenship (uses Canadians as an example, but the legal principles generally apply to other countries that allow dual citizenship like Mexico or Italy for example).

The following website by the US embassy in Australia has an excellent summary regarding the US policy on dual citizenship and losing US citizenship. U.S. Policy on Dual Nationality

State Departmentís website: Citizenship and Nationality

Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) : † The laws pertaining to loss of citizenship (or loss of nationality) and revocation of naturalization are found in Sections (ACT) 340 and 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. † The regulations and procedures that the federal government are required to follow when implementing any law such as the Immigration and Nationality Act are found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). † Click here for the corresponding CFRs pertaining to Sections 340 and 349 of the INA. † The CFR part numbers will be the same as the INA section numbers.
Helping new and naturlized US Citizens become Americans

Home | About Us | Products | Contact Us | Shopping Checkout
What To Do after the Ceremony | Passport Information | Voter Registration | Jury Duty | Serving America
Dual Citizenship | Losing US Citizenship | Constitution and Laws | US Savings Bond | Sponsoring Family
Other Things to Do | Becoming a Citizen

©Copyright 2019 All rights reserved